Summary of Tog on Maximizing Human Performance with additional conclusions.
Prefer the human model to the machine model:
- Eliminate as much as possible through calculations or guesses.
- Prefer the human model to the machine model, compare two faucets, a good one lets the user control flow with one control and temperature with another.
Decrease Data Entry
- Limit decision making.
- Limit required information.
- Provide the user with the needed information.
- Pop up help information.
- Find the information automatically if possible.
- Communicate high probability answers.
- Present choices so the odds become clear.
- Hide obscure information under an advanced tab.
Limit percieved wait
- Do calculations in the background.
- Get the needed information first.
- Start the background task while the user enters other information.
- Pop up something relevant for the user to read if the wait is inevitable.
- Mark lengthy operations early in the design process.